PPMB

We're just nuts about nuts!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:11 am 
Brain
Brain

Quote:
Um, why not wait for the book to come out & put some dollars in cinc's pocket? I don't think at this stage that anyone is entitled to free copies of anything since he's trying to novelise and sell the story.
Just to clear things up, I never said I wasn't going to buy the man's book once it came out, I just wanted to know what happened after a certain point in the original Daria version. Perhaps I should've just asked for an explanation through PM's instead of wanting a text file of the whole entire thing.

So yeah, I apologize if I'd somehow offended some as that was definitely not my intent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:44 am 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

I just wanted to clear something up, because I heard from somebody that all uses of the word "Fielding" should be changed.

Is that right? Because Fielding as a place is canon and wasn't a name invented for HHoF.

Just wanted to clear this up incase I need to go back through TGATG and change every mention of Fielding.

"NO FUN! NADA!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:35 pm 
Super Brain
Super Brain

I don't believe I ever wrote anything more than congratulatory comments on any of the HHofF threads. That being said, while I will try to stay away from HHofF territory, I'm dubious as to whether having a Grandma Barksdale who develops more interest in her Morgendorffer granddaughters, designs to make debutantes out of them, or is on the board of trustees of a second-tier, clearly-NOT-Fielding girl's school necessarily constitutes plagiarism.

I am uncertain as to whether the names of Daria's Barksdale grandmother and grandfather are too close to HHofF in Daria Ravenclaw. I THINK I missed with Grandma; I'll check Grandfather Barksdale.

Edit: I remembered that Roentgen gave me permission to use the names of Daria's Barksdale grandparents in my Daria--Harry Potter crossover. I have now changed the given name for Daria's Barksdale grandfather. I think I can keep the given name "Lillian." Does anyone remember what Daria's maternal grandmother's surname was, because I don't?

You don't have to spell it out in full. Asterisks, hash marks, and underscoring are wonderful tools.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:18 pm 
Darian
Darian

Location: Maintaining a position at the LaGrange point between awesomeness and abject annoyance
Quote:
I just wanted to clear something up, because I heard from somebody that all uses of the word "Fielding" should be changed.

Is that right? Because Fielding as a place is canon and wasn't a name invented for HHoF.

Just wanted to clear this up incase I need to go back through TGATG and change every mention of Fielding.
Yes, Fielding Prep is a place in Daria canon... but the whole of Fielding - as depicted in The Hallowed Halls of Fielding - IS visibly a specific and unique interpretation of the property that by its very nature, genesis and the fact that this discussion is taking place has to be seen as separate from the Fielding of the show - so separate in all ways that it has actually become the trope codifier for not just what Fielding is in terms of Daria fanfiction, but could be seen as someday becoming so for what a prep school is in for fiction in general.

Example: Name one building, one course, one teacher or one catchphrase from any character from Fielding as represented in the canon, first-run production schedule of 'Daria', and then, hold that up against the incredibly rich, diverse worldbuilding used to create the Fielding Prep of HHOF.

If your idea is to use Fielding as seen in the show, feel free - but if your idea is to use the Fielding Prep as Roentgen has envisioned and presented it in his original work, then it's not a canon interpretation and should be changed or removed.

As always, my $0.02 on the matter.

2,259 feet on Kitten Cannon!

...still at that forgotten spot behind the sofa where I was accidentally kicked by Real Life's left hind leg - because Real Life is Nintendo Hard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:07 pm 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Location: I'm in your Central Plant, controlling your room temps!
IIRC, in canon, Fielding was nothing more than a name..... Roentgen took that name and gave it "life".

"Oh me, oh my. A lovely day is dawning. Oh, what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to school work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep in class on site instead of in my bed." - Daria

Avatar is "Devil Elsie" by BloodyWilliam.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:13 pm 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

Something struck me as funny, if the published version of Hallowed Halls becomes a huge hit, there will be people writing fanfiction about it. Maybe even writing crossovers between it and Daria. :D ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:20 pm 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

Quote:
IIRC, in canon, Fielding was nothing more than a name..... Roentgen took that name and gave it "life".
Yeah, it was just mentioned but never fleshed out. The reason I wanted to clarify was because I'd been told by someone else that all mentions of Fielding in fics were to be removed, even though it was a canon place.

It was just because I made Fielding a setting for parts of one of my fics, before I'd even heard of HHoF, so I just wanted to know whether I'd be expected to rename Fielding in said fic, even though it was entirely unconnected to HHoF.

"NO FUN! NADA!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Something struck me as funny, if the published version of Hallowed Halls becomes a huge hit, there will be people writing fanfiction about it. Maybe even writing crossovers between it and Daria. :D ;)
I'm pretty sure there are people writing 50 Shades of Grey/Twilight crossovers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:56 am 
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, Fielding Prep is a place in Daria canon... but the whole of Fielding - as depicted in The Hallowed Halls of Fielding - IS visibly a specific and unique interpretation of the property that by its very nature, genesis and the fact that this discussion is taking place has to be seen as separate from the Fielding of the show - so separate in all ways that it has actually become the trope codifier for not just what Fielding is in terms of Daria fanfiction, but could be seen as someday becoming so for what a prep school is in for fiction in general.

Example: Name one building, one course, one teacher or one catchphrase from any character from Fielding as represented in the canon, first-run production schedule of 'Daria', and then, hold that up against the incredibly rich, diverse worldbuilding used to create the Fielding Prep of HHOF.

If your idea is to use Fielding as seen in the show, feel free - but if your idea is to use the Fielding Prep as Roentgen has envisioned and presented it in his original work, then it's not a canon interpretation and should be changed or removed.

As always, my $0.02 on the matter.
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it was just mentioned but never fleshed out. The reason I wanted to clarify was because I'd been told by someone else that all mentions of Fielding in fics were to be removed, even though it was a canon place.

It was just because I made Fielding a setting for parts of one of my fics, before I'd even heard of HHoF, so I just wanted to know whether I'd be expected to rename Fielding in said fic, even though it was entirely unconnected to HHoF.
In my opinion we can use Fielding as much as we like it, we just have to be careful not to write anything that looks like THHOF. Those like you ognawk, who have written Fielding stories using as basis THHOF,just need to make some changes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:47 pm 
Brain
Brain

So earlier, I had mentioned wanting to know what happened after a specific point in "HHOF". Well, I didn't realize it but Roentgen still had (and still does as of this posting) some parts of said story up on this very message board. I read them all and...man. I won't be giving away any spoilers but I will say that there is some pretty heavy stuff to be found. So yeah, not only am I glad I got caught up in this story finally, it's also made me anticipate the upcoming revised version even more than before.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:44 am 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Could someone be so kind as to edit my Daria Wiki page and remove the HHoF links to nowhere? (including the ASPs stuffs, of course) Please and thank you :)

http://dariawiki.org/wiki/index.php?tit ... dy_William

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Could someone be so kind as to edit my Daria Wiki page and remove the HHoF links to nowhere? (including the ASPs stuffs, of course) Please and thank you :)

http://dariawiki.org/wiki/index.php?tit ... dy_William
I will edit the remaining Wiki pages. Don't worry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 pm 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

All,

Life has been busy. I have now been submitting the manuscript to external sources for manuscript review. After receiving final feedback from our remaining source, I will begin submission to actual publishers.

Therefore, in line with the previous request, I am asking that all mentions to HHF either here, on the Wiki, or elsewhere be removed IMMEDIATELY. 99 percent of the content has been removed from this message board and the Wiki and we have had a lot of cooperation. With help from QW, I will now take care of the final 1 percent of material.

Once again, thank you and I'll keep you posted.

JB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 am 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Only just noticed this since I've been mostly out of the fandom for a while... How do I go about editing my Lawndale Fighting Championship works to be compliant to your request? I used one of your characters as a main character in one of the last pieces I did.

EDIT: I've taken down my two pixel art pieces off of DeviantArt featuring that character, and tried to edit the wiki page for the one LFC piece featuring her while trying not to change the narrative too much (she's been replaced by a "masked mystery woman", which doesn't help given another feud I had at the time involved the same plot, but... it's what had to be done I guess given the change in circumstance). I'm going to try and edit the Esteemster Series fic posted here as much as I can, if it hasn't been done so already. A mod might have to edit the posts quoting the original name, though.

We walk alone in the unknown
We live to win another victory
We are the young dying sons
We live to change the face of history

LFC DariaWiki Page

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:40 pm 
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Location: Columbus, OH Home to me, Cowtown to the rest of you
Quote:
Only just noticed this since I've been mostly out of the fandom for a while... How do I go about editing my Lawndale Fighting Championship works to be compliant to your request? I used one of your characters as a main character in one of the last pieces I did.

EDIT: I've taken down my two pixel art pieces off of DeviantArt featuring that character, and tried to edit the wiki page for the one LFC piece featuring her while trying not to change the narrative too much (she's been replaced by a "masked mystery woman", which doesn't help given another feud I had at the time involved the same plot, but... it's what had to be done I guess given the change in circumstance). I'm going to try and edit the Esteemster Series fic posted here as much as I can, if it hasn't been done so already. A mod might have to edit the posts quoting the original name, though.
Said person could get the WWE Chris Benoit Treatment. just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:56 am 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Quote:
Quote:

Said person could get the WWE Chris Benoit Treatment. just a suggestion.
His matches are still broadcast on WWE Network, though. They didn't have to retroactively change the story so that Stevie Richards won the main event of WrestleMania XX instead.

We walk alone in the unknown
We live to win another victory
We are the young dying sons
We live to change the face of history

LFC DariaWiki Page

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:16 pm 
Tabula Rasa
Tabula Rasa

It's only the first 11 chapters but HHF is still posted on fanfiction.net. However owns the fieldingprep account would need to take it down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 am 
Brain
Brain

Heya, so, what's the status on the manuscript review / publishing?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:56 am 
Darian
Darian

Well, er, good thing I logged back on here, eh? I'll work on editing any Fielding-specific Fieldings bits in God Save The Esteem but that may take a while due to the length & two sites w/ it.