PPMB

We're just nuts about nuts!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi all,

As you may have read on this blog entry, the second draft of Book One is now complete.

Before proceeding, Roentgen would appreciate any HHF auxiliary material being removed from the internet.

This request includes spin-off stories, artwork, and information available on sites such as PPMB, SFMB, FanFiction.Net, The Daria Fandom Blog, DeviantArt, Daria Wiki, TV Tropes, other fanfic/art/pop culture sites, and even personal websites.

This is a unique request in the history of the fandom. But please remember that every time you borrow an original character or a universe from an author, you are doing so with his/her permission.

In this case, any story or artwork with names or places borrowed directly from HHF available online may result in the author being accused of plagiarising the material he created. This is serious.

On that note, every article on Daria Wiki related to HHF or its auxiliary material will be deleted.

This page links to the pages that link to HHF on the Wiki. Most of those pages will be deleted or heavily edited.

As an administrator on both PPMB and the Wiki, I have the ability to delete all threads and articles. However, I will give everyone the chance to copy, request selected deletion, and edit (in the case of the Wiki) things on their own. If you do not take action within 30 days starting from today, I will delete and edit articles at my discretion.

The deadline is 14 November 2016.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:39 pm 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

I've gotten a few questions from people regarding QW's request so I thought I'd clarify things.

I had QW post a global announcement because she has admin power and I do not - non-admins can't post global announcements. QW has been helping me put together this entire project and I've let her know that it was okay to speak for me. You can assume that she is speaking for me on HHF related matters. QW has full admin authority both here and at D-wiki so you'll want to save any work on either site before November 14 or so. She has my full discretion in removing anything related to HHF so if you're in doubt about anything, please, you need to get in touch with her before that date.

In general, if you have material that relates to HHF, there are three ways you can help.

Deleting stuff
. The good news is that this is the most efficient way to solve the problem, the bad news is that it's the most irreversible. Sort of the nuclear weapon approach. Hopefully, your copies of stuff have been backed up, if not, one month should be suitable time to make copies before D-day.

QW will be deleting my pages at D-wiki. I saved the files of my webpages so that my work wasn't destroyed and that I could pull it up at any time if for some reason I needed to refer to it and I suggest you do the same. The HHF entry will be disappearing as well as entries on the other major characters.

Changing stuff. The good news is that it allows the creator of the work to still keep it on-line where people can read and enjoy it. The bad news is that this might be easier from some people than others depending on how strong the connection is to the source material.

I did get a request from someone concerned that they had so many changes to make that they wouldn't be able to make the deadline. That's fine, because I appreciate any honest effort made. As long as you can show that changes are being actively worked on, you're good to go. But keep QW informed if it's a PPMB/D-wiki matter.

Hiding stuff. Basically, by "hiding" I mean "making unsearchable". I know there are ways on the internet to remove web pages from being indexed by Google and other search engines even though I'm not familiar with them. The goal, once again, is to remove public links to the source material.

Obviously, nothing can ever be completely scrubbed from the internet. My goal is simply not to make that so easy.

-JB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:05 pm 
Darian
Darian

Location: Maintaining a position at the LaGrange point between awesomeness and abject annoyance
Not a problem, old boy. As I mentioned to QW, I re-worked my entry to the No Gas! series of stories (Road Serviced) by taking out original HHF characters & replacing them with OC's. This means that I can now use those OCs as friends for Tom in Legion of Lawndale Heroes, but with the obvious changes that make them my own. This helps because now, I can use Fielding as a setting for Tom to hang out, where I couldn't before specifically because I didn't want to use those HHOF characters (in that I didn't want to dilute them from the original source, and because I'd already asked to use them once before. Didn't want to be greedy :D).

I can't wait to introduce 'Hambone' Chilton. :D

I don't think I used HHOF characters in any other stories. If you see any that I missed, please let me know and I'll make the appropriate changes. I'll also look at my fics on the archive sites to see if they needed to be taken down, reworked and re-submitted. That shouldn't be difficult for anybody to do, or at least make an honest attempt to do.

I was also thinking about something else - how I'd feel if I was trying to get something published or produced and they were in the position Roentgen's in - which is the same E.L James and Cassandra Claire were in, when they decided to stop doing fanfic and turn their materials into original works. Both of them were accused of plagarizing their own works, because they couldn't completely scrub the Internet (or more to the point, make it difficult to try and locate their original works). I'll also remind everyone of what happened to the guy who wrote the amazing work The Salvation War, and got his dreams of getting it published as an original work smashed in because his work was spread about after he tried to pull it.

As writers, we all should try to help a fellow who's trying to make it into the big pool. God knows I owe Roentgen all the help he ever wants, because well over half the stuff I've done over the past decade (probably around three-quarters, to be truthful) has been around or inspired by LLH, which he allowed me to take over after he decided to step away in early 2007. That's right - I've been writing in that playbox for a decade come next September, and if he asked me to stop writing LLH, I'd do it, thank him, and take my original characters, settings and such into some new things. Hell, I'm taking a re-worked version of my LLH 'Mini' How To Avoid A Trap to my writer's group on Thursday, I've come up with an entirely new setting based on some of the characters from my Daylight LLH works into a YA book with a present-day setting called Ferals, and I'm seriously looking at how to generate a novel either out of The Alliance and USAES (the federal metahuman academy; you should see the notes I have :shock: ) or out of Tales of the Ringbearers (where How To Avoid A Trap is set). (It helps that I created most of that setting, including the Rings; I have enough to start fresh, because I look at that setting in the same manner that the Cthulu Mythos was worked on, with lots of short stories.)

In any event, Roentgen was kind enough to let me use his settings and characters for a long time - longer than anyone on the boards, I'd bet - so I'm not about to make things tougher for him by not pulling my things, reworking them, and then putting them back up. It's really not that difficult, if we try.

Enough of my flapping lips. Take my money and send me a book, Roentgen! :D

2,259 feet on Kitten Cannon!

...still at that forgotten spot behind the sofa where I was accidentally kicked by Real Life's left hind leg - because Real Life is Nintendo Hard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 pm 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Dear Quiverwing and Roentgen:

I had just saved a short scene from the fic in question, which has been now deleted from my hard drive (though I think a good hacker might be able to retrieve. Fingers crossed...). Apart from that, there's nothing I have of that story or of the universe.

Two thinkg came to mind as I read your posts:

* I'm not sure if it is possible to delete references to the story from TV tropes. I read somewhere on their pages that they consider themselves proprietor of anything that is added to them. So I aqssume the entry for the current story might be heavily edited or even removed form the appropiriate page (in this case, "Daria fanfic recommendations"), but I am guessing some refences will sty in the body of text of the article in question... just saying.

Anyone who actually IS a TV tropes editor will probably have more accurate response to what I just wrote.

* Regarding the Dariawiki entry: Would you really prfer for it to be completely removed? IS there any way to leave an entry with the basiest of descriptions and no eternl link? I'mjust sayng this because it makes me sad to emove any refernece to HHoF, as it had become an un-story?

PS: Who is the man in the phtograph, which constitutes your new avatar?

MacDonald, Kyle; One Red Paperclip; Ebury Press, 2007.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:24 am 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

Ok, if I remember correctly we did an Iron Chef where we put canon characters into Roentgen's Fielding, should it be deleted? I can't find the link for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:21 am 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

Quote:
Ok, if I remember correctly we did an Iron Chef where we put canon characters into Roentgen's Fielding, should it be deleted? I can't find the link for it.
If you can delete it, please do so. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:26 am 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Location: I'm in your Central Plant, controlling your room temps!
I've had "Devil Elsie" on my desktop ever since BW created her for me. That won't change, but that is my personal machine.

She has been removed from PPMB as my avatar and replaced with something else. Also, the reference to my location has been changed as well.

As the webmaster of ODR, I have no references to HHoF on my website.

Now... here's the $0.50 question.... is there a way to get a PDF copy of the original HHoF, for my own reading? I do remember someone made a e-book of it, or I thought someone did...

"Oh me, oh my. A lovely day is dawning. Oh, what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to school work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep in class on site instead of in my bed." - Daria

Avatar is "Devil Elsie" by BloodyWilliam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 am 
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Since I haven't been accepting new submissions to Glitter Berries for quite some time, I don't think there is any derivative work there. The only things I've added since the site shut down in 2007 was to add the art from Outpost Daria when it closed, but I never got around to adding the fanfic illustrations (and I don't have plans to do so at this point), so there's probably nothing that needs to be removed. Please do let me know if you find anything, though, and I'd be happy to take it down.

Kem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:55 pm 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

Quote:
Quote:
Actually you were the one who posted the OP, Iron Chef: Everyone Goes to Fielding.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually you were the one who posted the OP, Iron Chef: Everyone Goes to Fielding.
That makes the job easier. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:05 pm 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Quote:
Since I haven't been accepting new submissions to Glitter Berries for quite some time, I don't think there is any derivative work there. The only things I've added since the site shut down in 2007 was to add the art from Outpost Daria when it closed, but I never got around to adding the fanfic illustrations (and I don't have plans to do so at this point), so there's probably nothing that needs to be removed. Please do let me know if you find anything, though, and I'd be happy to take it down.

Kem
I'm pretty sure there is nothing related to HHF on ODR. However, if there is, have your lawyers contact my lawyers and and we settle this in a court of public opinion... LOL.... No, just let me know and I will take it down. It won't be deleted, but it won't be on the server either...

"Oh me, oh my. A lovely day is dawning. Oh, what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to school work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep in class on site instead of in my bed." - Daria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 pm 
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Location: Columbus, OH Home to me, Cowtown to the rest of you
There might be a passing reference to Pat and Sue in RA but I got to check it for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:02 am 
Mind Controller
Mind Controller

I've begun the task of editing stories and articles, it'll take some time and due to my work schedule I might fall behind a bit, but I WILL GET THIS DONE. I promise.

I'm not just changing a few names, I'm also changing physical descriptions and some dialogue so that the OCs are really mine, and not just copies.

A few scenes and such I might request to have deleted since I think they might not be salvageable. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:41 am 
Quote:
Hi Roentgen how 're you ?

I'm sorry to bother you but there's something I have to ask you.

You see I'm writing a story and I'd like to use a couple of element from your HHOF; more precisely:

the relationship between the headmaster and grandma Barksdale.

the character of Kathleen.

The first would be just mentioned a couple of times while Kathleen should be mentioned one time and appear twice in the story.

I hope it'll be ok for you otherwise, don't worry, I'll change the story.

I'm looking forward for your reply.
This was the only time I used something from THHOF, I've changed that part of the story deleting all the references.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:48 am 
Super Brain
Super Brain

In the Daria Wik, in the shared universe list page, there is a reference to HHoF, specifically Daria 353. I assume it also should be deleted... as well as any other existing references to the univese in any and all Dariawiki pages, right?

On that thought, I am considering now something: This very same thread will have to be deleted as well, right? Or should we start addressing the specific universe/story by a nickname, just to have an inoquous term to use in further discussions?

MacDonald, Kyle; One Red Paperclip; Ebury Press, 2007.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 am 
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Location: Columbus, OH Home to me, Cowtown to the rest of you
Quote:
In the Daria Wik, in the shared universe list page, there is a reference to HHoF, specifically Daria 353. I assume it also should be deleted... as well as any other existing references to the univese in any and all Dariawiki pages, right?

On that thought, I am considering now something: This very same thread will have to be deleted as well, right? Or should we start addressing the specific universe/story by a nickname, just to have an inoquous term to use in further discussions?
Don't over complicated it. Just delete Universe #353 and let the rest be.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:40 am 
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quote:
This is all starting to sound very Orwellian... HHoF never existed. It is an unstory. :mrgreen: :lol:

My woefully out-of-date deviantArt page

Now on Outpost Daria Reborn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:

Yes and yes. :D

I will be deleting this thread (or at least burying it in another forum) once the chore is over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:20 pm 
Brain
Brain

So I've been looking at this thread off and on for quite sometime now, and I do have a few things to say...

* First off, I also feel there should be a for private use only text file of "HHOF", especially for folks like myself who lost their place in the story and always wanted to find out what else happened.
* Secondly, I worry there might be some who won't be able to replace anything referring to "HHOF" from their stories, and I also worry that said stories might get discarded because of that. Hopefully, all of that doesn't happen.
* Third, I do wonder if there are some who are completely unaware of all this.
* Fourth, I honestly do wish that Roentgen has much success with this reworking of a classic story.

Last edited by Mega Jer on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:57 pm 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Quote:
* First off, I also feel there should be a for private use only text file of "HHOF", especially for folks like myself who lost their place in the story and always wanted to find out what else happened.
I second this, however I can easily see why it wouldn't happen. Anyone who has a copy could possibly expose it.

I want a personal copy so I can read the Daria version....

Also, I can see a few scenes that were in HHoF being dropped from the new version. Like the scene with Jane.... I don't think her random appearance will mean anything to the new universe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:15 pm 
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Um, why not wait for the book to come out & put some dollars in cinc's pocket? I don't think at this stage that anyone is entitled to free copies of anything since he's trying to novelise and sell the story.

All fanfics remain my creative property and may not be altered, copied or continued. This decision is final.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:05 pm 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Quote:
Um, why not wait for the book to come out & put some dollars in cinc's pocket? I don't think at this stage that anyone is entitled to free copies of anything since he's trying to novelise and sell the story.
I'm sorry... did I at any time say I was "entitled" to a copy of the story? No... I said I would just like a copy of the D353 version. Maybe responding to Mega Jer's comment gave you that impression, but sorry, it's not.

And, for what it is worth, I told Roentgen a long time ago, when he first announced he was converting the D353 version to all OCs, that I wanted to be on the preorder list. So I most definitely want to support Roentgen's work.

Speaking of which... why not refer to HHoF as "D353" which was the Dariaverse number for it? Besides, you can still find it at the Wayback Machine...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:41 am 
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

You must be feeling some guilt if you assumed my comment was directed at you. Just sayin'.

All fanfics remain my creative property and may not be altered, copied or continued. This decision is final.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:54 am 
Super Brain
Super Brain

Considering your post was right after mine...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:24 am 
Super Brain
Super Brain

One thing I hadn't thought of yet.

Has material containing the HHoF characters/setting been submitted to Lessons of Lawndale while the site was running?

(The site may be gone, but I will be setting up a successor site at some point, so I would like to know what not to include.)